The national pastime of the planet Zenn-La

A blog that chronicles the knitting (mis)adventures of a college student who loves French, Latin, philosophy, music and evolutionary biology.

Thursday, June 29, 2006

WIP: Liesel lace scarf

I can't believe I started another knitting project. This brings my total number of projects to four:

1. Liesel lace scarf
2. Irish hiking scarf (1/2 way done)
3. Monk's Travel Satchel (on indefinite hiatus)
4. Parade Forest socks (1/2 way done on first sock, will need to make second soon after).

Holy cow, I'm turning into a knitting ho!

In any case, I completed 12 rows of the Liesel scarf this afternoon. I had attempted to start the pattern last weekend when I got my Rowan cotton yarn, but I kept running out of stitches at the end of the first lace row, and I couldn't figure out why. It turned out I was doing an extra stitch for every "yarn over" that the pattern called for. I finally realized that a yarn over was simply bringing the yarn to the front for a knit stitch, and to the back (and around again) for a purl stitch. I learned four different yarn over techniques at Purl's today (I was desperate and frustrated, so I drove over to ask for help; it was like pulling teeth to get someone to help me, but after asking nicely enough, a frequent customer finally helped me), all of which appear in my pattern multiple times:

-knit stitch
-purl stitch
-ssk (slip slip knit)
-sk2po (slip 1, knit 2 tog, pass slipped stich over)

And here are the first 12 rows:


Yarn: Rowan All-Nature Cotton
Type: sport weight
Color: earthtone brown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home